I was given a big bag of apples recently. One day when I had Big Bill the clay oven fired up, I whipped this up as a dessert. Being crustless, It only takes 10 minutes to prepare. The cooked custard is soft with a light coconut flavour, and very nice enjoyed warm with some vanilla ice cream.
For a 24 cm diameter flan, you’ll need:
- peeled, cored and sliced apples to fill the flan dish
- 4 eggs
- 400ml can of coconut milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
Follow these steps:
- Fill the flan dish with sliced apples.
- Mix eggs, coconut milk and sugar in a bowl and pour over the apples.
- Sprinkle the top with shredded coconut.
- Bake at 180 C for 40 minutes. (It’s ready when the custard wobbles slightly but does not run when you tilt the dish slightly.)
Serve warm, room temperature or cold – very nice with some vanilla ice cream!