I used to find those gourmet muesli in the shops hard to resist. They do taste way nicer than the big packets, but also much pricier. I’m no longer attracted to it at all ever since I started making my own speedy gourmet toasted muesli years ago.
I knew making my own equivalent “gourmet muesli” would cost a fraction of the price they are sold for. But I couldn’t be bothered toasting muesli regularly in an oven (we go through A LOT!). That’s when I thought of doing it on the stove top in a big frying pan. The muesli toasts WAY faster and more evenly too! (Not to mention it also uses way less electricity compared to using the oven!)
Here’s what I do:
- Put a little oil (1/2 tablespoon or so) in a large frying pan and put on medium to high heat .
- Add 2 tablespoons of honey and 2 tablespoons of brown sugar to the pan and heat until melted and bubbly.
- Add roughly 750 g wholemeal oats (big ones) and 500g rolled oats (finer ones) to the pan and stir.
- Add roughly 2 cups of chopped nuts (almonds, cashews, shredded coconuts, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, seaseme etc., whatever I have in my pantry) and stir.
- Keep stirring regularly until the oats are a nice even light golden colour.
- Let it cool then add enough chopped dried fruits until I’m satisfied that my muesli is fit for a queen 😉 (Fruits I regulary use includes raisins, sultanas, cranberries, apricots, apples etc.)
Seriously, the toasting process probably only takes 5 minuts on the stove. The advantage of home made muesli is not just being cheaper, but I can make it just the way I like. Those gourmet muesli I used to like from the shops don’t even compare anymore. And since it only takes 10 minutes to do, it even saves me the time to go and hand my money over to the shops!
I hope you’ll also create your own speedy golden muesli that brightens up your day right from the start! 🙂