I’m so in love with this cake right now. It’s so creamy but light at the same time. I’ve made it several times since I created it a few weeks ago. Every time I found myself eating a quarter of a cake at a time (with restrain!), ah hmm, even for breakfast… That’s why this recipe makes 2 cakes. Trust me, one is just not enough! It’s very simple and quick to make, and sure to please!
- 120g softened butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups self-rising flour (or 2 cups standard flour + 2 teaspoons baking powder)
- 2 cups chopped ripe but firm plums (about 10 egg-size plums) (You can try canned plums if fresh ones are out of season, or try using other soft fruits.) (Top photo made with red plums, bottom photo made with yellow plums.)
- 500g ricotta cheese
- 1 cup (250ml) natural yogurt
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
Follow these steps:
- For the base, beat the butter and sugar together until creamy, then beat in the eggs, one at a time, until well mixed. You can do this very quickly in a food processor.
- Mix the flour into the butter mixture and press/spread into 2 x 20-23cm springform cake tins. (I use a 20cm and a 23 cm one.)
- Scatter chopped plums over the bases.
- Beat all the toppings together until well combined and pour half into each tin.
- Sprinkle over slivered or sliced almonds if you’d like.
- Bake at 160C for 40-50mins until the custard is just set and the centre is still slightly wobbly when the tin is gently shaken. If the cake show sign of splitting at anytime, decrease the temperature setting to 150C and open the oven door ajar until the temperature drops.
- If the cake did unfortunately split at the end of cooking, don’t worry. Let it cool, sprinkle some sliced almonds over the top, and put it under the grill at 120C until the almonds takes on a golden touch. Wallah!
This cake is lovely served at room temperature, or slightly warm. It’s wonderful just having on its own, but I served it with a little more fresh or lightly stewed plums, and some yogurt for dinner parties.
If you enjoy this cake, try the lemon and pear cheese cake too!